by Kalalú-Danza / Yacine Khelladi 12/96. as posted in the Cangonet forum 12/1996 a reduced version of a spanish draft copy of the project "Estudio de factibilidad de un proyecto piloto de oferta turística cultural integrada en una comunidad de la región este de la República Dominicana"
<back to the Kiskeya Alternative Destination page>
Brief description of de project / Support and assessment needed
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The project pretends to be integral because it looks to:
- Involve positively part of a rural community (still preserved from destructive tourism) looking to increase their income
- Prevent degradation of their social/cultural/natural environment
- Experiment (new in DR) "sustainable" turistic alternatives
- Promotes the development (in dev. countries but also nationally) of a different (open minded, Respectful, socially and environmentally conscious) tourism
- "Reevaluate" local cultural, natural, archeological, and social resources in all its stages
- Integrate all the accurate monitoring or control mechanism to ensure the all of the above
We project to have 3 operational structures:
- A private investment (the "center") will set up an infrastructure general organization, and commercialization, and provide space for the
- Cultural/artistic NGO, that will offer in exchange workshops and cultural activities (as afro-Dominican dance music classes, handicrafts, natural medicine, archeological cultural and ecological excursions, agritouristic activities etc.) Note that it is not its principal activity but a way for financial sutainability of its community/artistic education and research activities,
- An organized network of families will offer rooms and services (food, washing, guides) and their open doors to get visitors know their culture, history, way of life, philosophy of life, religion, food, etc. etc.
- Also other community members could/will be involved (by the NGO) in the cultural offer and in other community activities that the "center" could host.
- The projected site is in an culturally (afro-caribbean traditions) rich region, surrounded by sugar can fields, and at a still preserved river border, not far from other naturally attractive sites and Gov. protected areas.
STUDY (ABSTRACT OF THE REFERENCE TERMS)
We are looking for support to conduct a feasibility study (or pre project) to determine the following:Family housing:
- Minimal/optimal conditions (social/education-training/ infrastructure) to host visitors
- What training should be given on environmental preservation, socio-cultural resources valuation, micro-enterprise management, preventing negative social impacts, dangers as prostitution, drugs, diseases, etc. One time vs permanent.
- Who could give this training
- How to select families (ex: family chief status -gender?-)
- Where and what financement can be obtain (micro credits) for for the families (room rehabilitation, related services)
- How to monitor and control the hosting family conditions
- What institutional/juridical structure for the project.
- What structure for the family network (association, cooperative or micro enterprise network)
- Participation and profit redistribution mechanism for the families
- General articulation and coordination mechanism for the 3 operational
- Similar efforts in the country/region
- What alternative commercial strategy are available
- Possible partners (same efforts) for a network on joined promotion
- If there is a potential demand (national and international)
- What is the "charge capacity" of the community, and other surrounding communities where old cultural expressions are still alive, what relations
- Should be established with this community to preserve from degradation (social/cultural/environmental)
- How to integrate local people in cultural activities/workshops etc.
- Architectural design and techniques preserving natural and cultural background
- All elements and devices to be included in the center
- How to introduce and run devices in hosting families (solar energy cooking, recycling etc.)
- Monitoring procedure to ensure the above
END OF MESSAGE