Some of the papers presented available online:
+ EL TURISMO RURAL SOSTENIBLE COMO UNA OPORTUNIDAD DE DESARROLLO DE LAS
PEQUEÑAS COMUNIDADES DE LOS PAÍSES EN DESARROLLO.
por Mtro. Manuel Gurría Di-Bella
El trabajo trata de destacar la importancia económica que tiene la actividad turística para las poblaciones receptoras por los beneficios que el hecho social puede producir a la vez que advierte los peligros que una actividad descontrolada presenta, por los aspectos negativos que pueden afectar a las comunidades.
+ SIGNPOSTS AND GATEKEEPERS: TOURIST INFORMATION AND HOLIDAY EXPERIENCE
IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
By Michelle Palmer
This paper argues that the pervasiveness of a wide variety of informational sources supplied by and through a wide range ‘gatekeepers’ effectively creates a whole range of signposts that impact on the ways
in which this reflexivity allows engagement to take place with a destination.
+ DESIGN OF URBAN TOURIST ROUTES FOR PUEBLA CITY, A CLUSTER ANALYSIS
by Raúl Valdez M. Ph.D
This paper describes a investigation whose objective are (1) To know the global image that Puebla City visitors have as tourist. (2) To determine the experiences lived by the tourist visiting Puebla City. (3) To identify the mean tourism attractions, in order to design the more accurate urban tourism routes of Puebla City.
+ ELEMENTOS PARA UN DIAGNOSTICO DEL TURISMO ALTERNATIVO EN LA REPÚBLICA
Por Yacine Khelladi
Descripción de elementos del diagnostico realizado sobre la situación, potenciales y problemas del turismo alternativo y "eco"turismo en el marco del proyecto Kiskeya Alternativa
+ AN EVALUATION OF ECOLODGES IN THE BRAZILIAN AMAZON
by Luciana Coelho Marques, 2000
This paper discusses ecotourism and identifies ecolodge criteria. It further compares and analyses several lodges in Brazilian Amazon. http://kiskeya-alternative.org/publica/diversos/ecolodge-brasil.html
+ THE INTER-RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN NATURE BASED TOURISM IN A COMMUNITY AND
NEARBY LODGES IN THE BRAZILIAN AMAZON
by Sherre Prince Nelson
Evaluation of the inter-relations between a riverine community and local jungle lodges used for ecotourism in the Brazilian Amazon. http://kiskeya-alternative.org/publica/diversos/amazon.html
+ ECO-TOURISM IN HONG KONG: ITS POTENTIALS AND LIMITATIONS
by Dr. Cho Nam Ng and Dr. Y. Li
This paper will discusses the eco-tourism potential of Hong Kong, and in particular, it will focus on its advantages in terms of its biodiversity, infrastructure and associations with China mainland, and its limitations (physical and geographical) http://kiskeya-alternative.org/publica/diversos/hong-kong.htm
Context, organization and co-sponsors.
In the last few years environmental degradation has become a major preoccupation in the Dominican Republic, at the same time that the country has become more dependent upon mass tourism. There are now many NGOs working in areas of environmental protection and ecotourism, and scholars actively involved in research in these areas.
The Fundación Ciencia y Arte, under the direction of Dr. Jose Serulle Ramia is organizing the Fourth "Feria Ecoturistica y de Produccion" or Ecotourism and Production Fair, at the Hacienda Muriel, in Hato Nuevo, Manoguayabo, near Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, 15-23 July 2000. The Fair is a cultural, community, educational and commercial event. As part of the Fair, there is a Conference section, with panels, papers, and workshops, held each day for the duration of the Fair. Between July 20-22, along with the Fundación Ciencia y Arte, a number of panels and individual presentations are being organized and co-sponsored by
- the Commission for the Anthropology of Tourism of the International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences (IUAES);http://www.herts.ac.uk/business/tourism_commission/folder/
- the Sustainable Tourism Study Group of the International Geographical Union (IGU); http://www.for.nau.edu/geography/igust/
- and Kiskeya Alternativa (http://kiskeya-alternative.org)
The conference will be an excellent opportunity for people working in the areas listed below to compare knowledge and experiences. Selected refereed papers will be included in a book to be published by the Fundación Ciencia y Arte, and in the publication section of Kiskeya Alternativa (http://kiskeya-alternative.org/publica).
International participants are welcome to stay and participate in the Fair and the Conference section throughout its duration, but presentations by international participants, along with a number of Dominican presentations, will be concentrated between July 20-22.
Themes of the conference
Among the themes being treated in the conference section of the Ecotourism Fair are the following:
- sustainable tourism in the Caribbean and elsewhere;
- development of Ecotourism in the Dominican Republic and internationally;
- importance of rivers and wetlands in biodiversity and ecotourism activities;
- river, wet land, urban and rural environmental clean-up;
- environmental protection;
- coastal-marine environments;
- "green hotel" policy and practice;
- tourist resorts and ecotourism;
- national parks;
- issues of private reserves;
- water sports;
- legislation of contamination of rivers,
- wetlands and coastal-marine environments;
- international experiences in river, wetland and coastal management;
- cultural heritage;
- territorial-spatial management;
- urban environments and tourism;
- and evaluations of ecotourism projects.
Other panels or individual contributions on other themes will be considered.
The International Scientific Organizing Committee reviewing paper abstracts and panel proposals is constituted by:
- Dr. Michael Hall - Sustainable Tourism Study Group of the International Geographical Union (IGU)
- Dr. Gregory Teal - Commission for the Anthropology of Tourism (IUAES)
- Yacine Khelladi - Kiskeya Alternativa
- Dr. Jaqueline Boin - Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo
- Dr. Nancie Gonzalez - Universidad de Valle de Guatemala
- Claudia Scholz - Johns HopkinsUniversity (Baltimore)
- Dr. Tom Selanniemi - International Sociology Association Research Committee on International Tourism
- Dr. Jose Serulle Ramia - Fundación Ciencia y Arte and Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo
Abstracts for the refereed stream must be received by April 15th 2000 and completed papers by June 15th. Other Abstracts may be received until June 1.
For the Refereed stream, paper or panel Abstracts of up to 250 words can be sent directly by email to Dr. Gregory Teal firstname.lastname@example.org (and Cc: to Dr. Michael Hall email@example.com and Yacine Khelladi firstname.lastname@example.org)
The international section of the conference will be concentrated between July 20-22. There will also be Dominican presentations during this period, to maximize inter-change of knowledge and experiences, and international participants are welcome to stay and participate in other panels and activities of the Fair in the 15-23 July 2000 time period.
For international speakers, registration fees are covered. The organizing committee can not support travel or accommodation expenses, but will help in booking and getting best preferential hotel rates.
Apart from the conference section of the Fair, which takes place between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm each day, there are numerous excursions, educational and leisure activities, stands and kiosks. Every evening, from 4:00 pm to 12:00 pm, there is a continuous series of artistic and cultural activities, with music, dance and folklore groups from around the Dominican Republic.
Contact: Kiskeya Alternativa: email@example.com
||important update on the project status|
||Lisez cet avis sur la situation actuelle du projet|
||aviso sobre la situación actual del proyecto|
Turismo sostenible y comercio electrónico, proyecto piloto de
Fundación Taiguey, Inc.
P.O.Box 109-Z Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Rep. Dominicana
Tel.: 1-809-537 89 77
E-mail: -- http://www.kiskeya-alternative.org